It’s that time of year when many households are faced with battling some kind of illness. Thankfully we can find some relief of those various symptoms and shorten the duration with natural cold and flu remedies. While there are herbal remedies that take time and special ingredients, all of these can be made relatively quickly and the ingredients may already be in your pantry.
Build Up Immunity First
Rather than fight a cold that has already taken hold, try building up the immune system first:
- Eat whole, natural foods and limit sugar which can inhibit the bodies natural ability to fight off infection
- Get fresh air as often as possible. The shift to colder weather means less sunshine and fresh air for many of us. This naturally impacts our ability to keep healthy.
- Use natural sources of Vitamin C to build the body’s natural immune system
Comforting and Healing
Cold and flu season comes with a variety of ailments, below are some specific remedies for particular ailments. Don’t forget the culinary herb garden has many sources of healing as well as flavor. For general comfort and overall healing consider these:
Sore Throat Relief
A sore throat can truly make the day and night miserable for many sufferers, relief can easily be found in herbal syrups and teas.
- Sip on sage, ginger, cinnamon and licorice root to soothe that scratchy throat
- Cool the burn with a smoothie full of cold-fighting ingredients
Quiet the Cough
Coughs are miserable for the afflicted and anyone who might be sleeping in the same house as the afflicted. They can also rob us of healing deep sleep.
- Use a syrup with lemon, honey, and thyme for some sweet relief
- Make homemade cough drops from herbs and skip questionable ingredients
Stuffy noses and congested chests make it hard to breathe and sleep making everyone uncomfortable. Loosen that congestion with topical and internal home remedies:
- Rub a heavily scented balm on the chest sure to open the passageways
- Make a spicy and sweet syrup to make breathing easier
Want to learn even more about creating your own homemade remedies? Check out this Simple Remedies E-Course to get hands-on instruction and more right in your own kitchen!
Relieve the suffering and stop the spread of infections at home this fall by making your own relief. And remember to hit the pantry first for some natural cold and flu remedies this fall and winter.
What’s your favorite home remedy for the cold & flu season?
Latest posts by Kathie Lapcevic (see all)
- Plants for the Medicinal Herb Garden - March 4, 2019
- How to Plan a Useful Herb Garden - February 18, 2019
- 35 Holiday Cookie Recipes for Everyone on Your List - November 19, 2018