It’s that time of year when many households are faced with battling some kind of illness. Thankfully we can find some relief of those various symptoms and shorten the duration with natural cold and flu remedies.
While there are herbal remedies that take time and special ingredients, all of these can be made relatively quickly and the ingredients may already be in your pantry.
Build Up Immunity First
Rather than fight a cold that has already taken hold, try building up the immune system first:
- Eat whole, natural foods and limit sugar which can inhibit the bodies natural ability to fight off infection
- Get fresh air as often as possible. The shift to colder weather means less sunshine and fresh air for many of us. This naturally impacts our ability to keep healthy.
- Use natural sources of Vitamin C to build the body’s natural immune system
- Elderberry has traditionally been used during cold and flu season to stimulate the immune system. Elderberry syrup is wonderful for children and adults. Adults might also enjoy single serve elderflower cordial. You can purchase elderberries here.
- Fermented garlic and honey is another immune booster.
Comforting and Healing
Cold and flu season comes with a variety of ailments, below are some specific remedies for particular ailments. Don’t forget the culinary herb garden has many sources of healing as well as flavor. For general comfort and overall healing consider these:
- Take a warm, detoxifying bath
- Drink healing, herbal teas lightly sweetened with honey
Sore Throat Relief
A sore throat can truly make the day and night miserable for many sufferers, relief can easily be found in herbal syrups and teas.
- Sip on sage, ginger, cinnamon and licorice root to soothe that scratchy throat
- Cool the burn with a smoothie full of cold-fighting ingredients
Quiet the Cough
Coughs are miserable for the afflicted and anyone who might be sleeping in the same house as the afflicted. They can also rob us of healing deep sleep.
- Use a syrup with lemon, honey, and thyme for some sweet relief
- Make homemade herbal cough drops from and skip questionable ingredients
Stuffy noses and congested chests make it hard to breathe and sleep making everyone uncomfortable. Loosen that congestion with topical and internal home remedies:
- Rub a homemade vapor rub on the chest sure to open the passageways
- Make a spicy and sweet syrup to make breathing easier
Want to learn even more about creating your own homemade remedies? Check out this Simple Remedies E-Course to get hands-on instruction and more right in your own kitchen!
Natural Cold and Flu Remedies for Home
Thankfully we can find some relief from cold and flu symptoms and shorten the duration with natural cold and flu remedies. While there are herbal remedies that take time and special ingredients, all of these can be made relatively quickly and the ingredients may already be in your pantry.
Fermented Garlic & Honey
A delicious and healing blend of sweet and savory flavors perfect for cooking and flu season.
Immunity Building Vitamin C Herbal Tea
Boost your vitamin C intake with immune building herbal teas.
Detox Bath (supercharge your Epsom salt bath!}
Soaking in a bath isn't just realizing it can also be healing. Make detox bath salts before the cold and flu season and be ready when it hits.
Tea for Colds and Flu
Using common herbs make an herbal tea to help during cold and flu season.
Easy Sore Throat Remedies
Ease sore throat pain with these easy to make sour throat remedies.
Sore Throat Relief Smoothie
Cool off a painful sore throat with this sore throat relief smoothie.
Homemade Vapor Rub for the Cold and Flu Season
Breathe easier when you use this natural vapor rub to open air passage ways.
Homemade Natural Spicy Cider Decongestant and Expectorant
Put spicy herbs to work for you as a natural decongestant and expectorant.
Pine Needle Cough Syrup
Pine needles are easy to find, even in the winter, and help quite a cough.
DIY Cough-Ease Cough Drops for Dry, Scratchy Throats
Ease coughs and sooth dry, scratchy throats with these diy cough drops
Single Serving Immune Booster Cordial Recipe
Homemade herbal cordials are easy to prepare and make unique and notable holiday gifts or housewarming presents. When prepared with medicinal herbs, cordials make a tasty medicine.
How To Make Immune Stimulating Elderberry Syrup
Elderberry syrup is a traditional cold and flu remedy that is easy to make and tastes great.
Herbs are some of the easiest plants to grow. They can be grown indoors or outside, in containers or in ground. Here are some tips for growing your own medicinal herb garden. Save
Relieve the suffering and stop the spread of infections at home this fall by making your own relief. And remember to hit the pantry first for some natural cold and flu remedies this fall and winter.
Thursday 17th of November 2016
And don't forget to take your elderberry! Elderberry syrup with Chinese star anise, raw honey, true cinnamon, cloves and ginger will help prevent and help get you over the flu, sinus problems and colds.