There are times when you need a little something to help boost your immunity but don’t want to make a full batch of infused herbs. In those cases, this single serving herbal cordial recipe is just what you need.
There are several methods used to make herbal cordials. The first is to infuse herbs in a simple syrup on the stove top. The second is to directly infuse the herbs over several months. The third is the single serving method which uses previously prepared tinctures to make a small amount of cordial.
The recipe below can be used with various tinctures to make all different kinds of herbal cordials.
Along with already prepared tinctures, this single serve elderflower cordial uses a simple syrup as a base. There are many levels of sweetness in a simple syrup, this one uses a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water.
You can adjust the ratio to accommodate your family’s preferences. You can also use honey instead of sugar.
- 1/2 fluid oz. elderberry or elderflower tincture
- 1/2 fluid oz. echinacea tincture
- 1/2 fluid oz. ginseng root tincture
- 3 oz. of simple syrup (1 parts sugar to 1 part water. Go ahead and make 1 cup to use as needed if you'll be treating for several days. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week).
- choice of spices if desired
If you need to make the simple syrup, put equal amounts of water and sugar in a small stockpot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes
It's best to chill the syrup before serving.
To serve: Pour 3 oz of simple syrup into a small glass and add tinctures. Stir well and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- SB Organics Ginseng - Wisconsin Farmed Ginseng Root - Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free Herb - 8 oz.
- Frontier Co-op Echinacea Purpurea Herb, Cut & Sifted, Certified Organic, Kosher | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench
- Frontier Co-op Elderberries, European Whole, Certified Organic, Kosher, Non-irradiated | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Sambucus nigra L.
The Rootsy Network
Latest posts by The Rootsy Network (see all)
- 53 Easy Ways to Earn Money From Any Size Homestead - January 24, 2019
- 6 Simple Meal Prep Hacks to Save Time and Money - October 29, 2018
- 17 Easy Side Dishes for the Holidays and Beyond - October 22, 2018