Apple pie cake gives you all the flavor of a homemade apple pie without the fuss of making pie crust. This apple pie cake doesn’t use a boxed cake mix, instead it uses pantry staples for a from scratch cake that your family will love.
This simple apple cake recipe can be served as part of a brunch in its coffee cake style or be eaten as dessert. Or maybe even a snack with tea. Truly there’s not a wrong time to eat apple pie cake.
The thing that makes this cake so very easy is that it uses pre-made pie filling. I used a homemade, canned apple pie filling here but something purchased from the store would work just as well.
While not specifically tested, I imagine any fruit pie filling would work here. Feel free to try using cherry or berry instead of apple if that’s what you have on hand.
You may want to skip additional spice in the cake and streusel topping if your pie filling is already heavily spiced.
If desired, you could easily switch up the spice as well. Use cardamom or nutmeg instead of cinnamon in the cake batter, especially if cinnamon is already in the pie filling.
Use ginger or some other spice in the struesel for an additional kick of flavor.
Gluten-Free & Vegan Variations
Switch the flour for your favorite gluten-free flour blend to keep it gluten-free and make sure to use a gluten-free apple pie filling.
For vegans switch the butter for a plant based spread instead and use a flax egg. Use nut or other plant based milk.
Want to make the cake even heartier? Here are some ideas:
- Stir in up to 1 cup of chopped nuts
- Use seeds like sunflower or pumpkin instead of nuts
- Add 1 cup of dried fruit (cranberries, raisins)
A person could drizzle the cooled cake with just a bit of vanilla glaze for a very lovely presentation.
This is a very coffee-cake like baked good. Serve it as a part of a brunch spread with fresh fruit, eggs, coffee and tea.
To make this a dessert, serve it with some whipped cream or ice cream
For the Cake Batter
- 1 Quart Apple Pie Filling
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Salted Butter, Melted
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
For the Streusel Topping
- 1 Tablespoon Salted Butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9" square cake pan.
Make the Streusel Topping:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix well with a fork until everything is combined. Set aside.
Make the Cake Batter:
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, melted butter, and milk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and and stir until almost combined.
- Add the apple pie filling and mix until the batter comes together completely.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 6g
We try our best but cannot guarantee 100% accuracy on this nutrition information.
Other Fruit Cakes
Fruit cakes are a great way to treat your family and use fresh or preserved seasonal fruits. If you need more fruit cake ideas, try the pear cranberry spoon cake, it’s a family favorite!