Cranberry pear spoon cake is easier to make than a boxed cake mix and highlights winter fruits for a simple, seasonal dessert.
Use fresh fruit for this tasty dish or hit your pantry for preserved versions to make the most of your stock.
Fresh or frozen cranberries will work just fine. If using frozen cranberries, just toss in frozen but know that the bottom layer might be a little runnier than if using fresh cranberries.
Fresh pears, peeled and chopped work delightfully. However, some canned chopped pears, well drained, will also be perfect in this cake.
Chopped apples would also work in place of the pears.
There is just a bit of ground ginger mixed in the fruit layer. Add another bit of ground ginger or even cinnamon to the cake layer for more spice.
Skip the spice all together to let the fruit shine, if desired.
The cranberry pear spoon cake is delightful as it comes out of the oven. Do let it cool before serving.
A dusting of powdered sugar just after plating is beautiful and delicious.
Serve with some fresh whipped cream topped with some sugared cranberries for an especially elegant dessert.
Cake and ice cream is, of course, always lovely.
Looking for some other ways to enjoy cranberries? Check out our curated collection of cranberry recipes.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. We always appreciate your feedback. You can also save the recipe for later by pinning it or clicking on the heart in the lower right hand corner.
- 8 ounces Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup Pears, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Melted, Salted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9" pie plate.
- Toss all of the fruit layer ingredients together directly in the pie plate. Mix together well then spread evenly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and lemon zest.
- Whisk together the melted butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter over the fruit and spread evenly. Don't worry if some of the fruit mixes in.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. The top and edges will be golden. An inserted toothpick will come out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
We do our best to provide this nutrition information but cannot guarantee accuracy. Please double check on your own.