Chocolate cranberry cookies are a soft, sweet delight perfect for the holidays and more.
These cookies are the perfect, easy way to use leftover cranberry sauce beyond spreading it on leftover turkey sandwiches.
Because these are soft and moist these make great cookies to tuck into care packages or otherwise share as gifts.
Use any whole berry cranberry sauce you have on hand in this recipe. Homemade or store-bought won’t matter.
That orange cranberry sauce that is a family tradition, use it here. Chocolate, orange, and cranberry will combine delightfully in these cookies.
These cookies were tested with a whole cranberry sauce, not the jellied kind. The bits of whole cranberries make the cookies chewy and hearty.
If you want to make something other than cookies, we have an entire collection of recipes using leftover cranberry sauce here.
Slivered almonds give these otherwise soft chewy some crunch.
Don’t like almonds? Substitute any roughly chopped nut you prefer. If you use something other than almonds, use vanilla extract rather than the almond extract in the recipe.
Using the Pantry
The recipe uses cocoa for ease. It’s likely in most pantries already and skips the expense of baking chocolate.
The mini chocolate chips add a nice touch but can easily be skipped if there aren’t any on hand.
Substitute regular chocolate chips or even white chocolate chips if desired.
Options for Decorating
These cookies are amazing just as the recipe is written. However, there are ways to make them a bit fancier.
Spread them with cream cheese frosting to put on a cookie platter during the holidays.
Drizzle the cookies with some melted chocolate
Make small cookies and spread the bottom of one cookie with chocolate frosting and put another cookie on top for sandwich cookies.
Dip half a cookie in melted white chocolate for a beautiful effect.
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 3/4 Cup Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line cookies sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffly.
- Beat in the egg, cranberry sauce, and almond extract. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until almost completely combined.
- Fold in the almonds and chocolate chips. Mix until the dough is thoroughly combined.
- Drop by Tablespoons full onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes. The cookies will be puffy and edges golden brown.
- Remove to cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 86mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 8g Protein: 2g