Make these simple apple oatmeal cookies using dried fruits, nuts, and hearty whole grain for amazing packed lunches and more.
Using only maple syrup for sweetener dried apple cookies are made slightly healthier with the addition of wheat germ and rolled oats, making them a dessert you can feel good about serving.
Simple and delicious these are great cookies to put into care packages and gift baskets.
Dried Apple Rings
Use homemade dried apples or apples that are dried not fried from the grocery store for this recipe. Chop the apple rings into pieces.
I find it’s easier to actually snip with scissors or break the rings apart with my fingers rather than use a knife.
Any Dried Fruit
While apples, oats, and maple syrup make for a delicious combination – it’s likely that any dried fruit you fancy would work.
Raisins, cranberries, currants would all work without chopping. Dates, figs, apricots, and more would also work with some chopping to break up large pieces.
Walnuts are always tasty but you could use any nut you have on hand. Or skip them if desired.
Sunflower or pumpkin seeds would also work instead of nuts.
This is a hearty cookie that is also moist from the maple syrup. They freeze extremely well. Simply store the completely cooled cookies in an airtight container in the freezer and eat up within 6 months.
Admittedly these are a plain looking cookie. That’s just fine for sticking into lunch boxes or mailing in care packages.
However, a vanilla glaze drizzled over the top will make it look a little fancier while also adding another layer of sweetness.
A bit of maple frosting could also be spread on top if desired.
- 1 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Wheat Germ
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Dried Apple Pieces (chopped rings)
- 1 Cup Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper / silicone baking mats.
- Whisk together the flour, wheat germ, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream the butter until light. Add the maple syrup and beat well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and stir well.
- Fold in the oats, dried apples, and nuts. Mix until completely combined.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Leave about 2" between cookies. Flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of hand.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. The edges and tops will turn a golden brown.
- Remove from sheets to cool completely on wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g