Herbal cordials are a fantastic way to improve your health and have a nice grown up treat. This elderberry cordial uses the direct infused method which takes 6 – 8 weeks so give yourself plenty of time.
Cordials have been used to administer medicinal herbs since ancient times and have sugar or honey added to them to make them more palatable. As the saying goes, “A little sugar helps the medicine go down.” This is certainly true of cordials.
There are several ways of making herbal cordials, the direct infusion way which is how this recipe is made. The second way is by making and reducing an herbal syrup. And the third way is a single serve herbal cordial.
- 1/2 cup dried elderberries
- 1/2 cup dried echinacea root
- 1/4 cup dried ginseng root
- 1/4 cup staghorn sumac berries *optional (added in cold infusions for its high vitamin C content)
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- honey to taste
- Place all dry ingredients in a quart-size mason jar.
- Fill the jar to the top with brandy and cap.
- Let sit in a cool, dark place to infuse for 6 - 8 weeks, gently shaking to mix it every day or two.
- Strain liquid using a piece of damp cheesecloth
- Sweeten with honey to taste.
- Store in clean, dried bottles with sterilized caps and label with contents and date prepared.
- Makes approximately (8) 4-ounce servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- SB Organics Ginseng - Wisconsin Farmed Ginseng Root - Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free Herb - 8 oz.
- Frontier Co-op Echinacea Purpurea Herb, Cut & Sifted, Certified Organic, Kosher | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench
- Frontier Co-op Elderberries, European Whole, Certified Organic, Kosher, Non-irradiated | 1 lb. Bulk Bag | Sambucus nigra L.
The Rootsy Network
Latest posts by The Rootsy Network (see all)
- 53 Easy Ways to Earn Money From Any Size Homestead - January 24, 2019
- 6 Simple Meal Prep Hacks to Save Time and Money - October 29, 2018
- 18 Easy Side Dishes for the Holidays and Beyond - October 22, 2018