There’s nothing quite like a cut-out cookie for a wide range of dessert and gift giving needs. This chocolate sugar cookie recipe is perfect for the chocolate lover in your life. They make beautifully decorated cookies but also taste delightful plain. They ship well and tuck beautifully into gift baskets and lunch boxes.
Make These Chocolate Sugar Cookies Ahead
The great thing about these chocolate sugar cookies is that they can be made over the course of several days. Prepare the dough after work one night. Cut and bake them the next or even a week later. Everyone loves an easy baking recipe.
Decoration Options Abound
Cut the cookies into any desired shape. This recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day, as it for Christmas or birthdays. Cut them into hearts, bears, stars, even plain old circles. Your possibilities are endless! Decoration options include:
- Whisk together 1 egg white and a teaspoon of water. Brush this onto raw cookies and sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake as usual.
- Frost with buttercream frosting.
- Drizzle with or dip into melted chocolate.
- Frost with Royal icing.
- Sprinkle frosting with colored sugar or sprinkles (use ones made with natural colors and skip the artificial dyes).
- Make sandwich cookies with two and frosting in the middle.
- These could also be used as ice cream sandwich cookies – just cut them into large shapes.
Are your kids helping with the decorating? Here are some great tips for you!
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. We always appreciate your feedback. You can also save the recipe for later by pinning it or clicking on the heart in the lower right hand corner.
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (omit if using salted butter)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt (if using). Set aside
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mixing completely.
- Slowly add the flour mixture beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- On a piece of parchment or waxed paper, place the dough and flatten into a disk. Wrap with the paper completely.
- Chill for at least 1/2 hour. Longer is okay.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes and place on prepared baking sheet about 2" apart.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire racks before decorating as desired.