Use up your winter squash harvest in this delicious and easy to make chocolate pumpkin cake.
Full of coffee and warming winter flavor with pumpkin spice this bundt cake is perfect to serve as birthday cake for pumpkin spice latte fans. Or skip the coffee and serve it as simple chocolate cake most everyone is sure to love.
Winter Squash Choices
This recipe will definitely work with canned pumpkin puree so feel free to use that if it’s all you have on hand. However, most any winter squash will work delightfully.
Make your own pumpkin puree from any winter squash you have on hand.
If you have own canned butternut squash or other squash chunks in the pantry, simply drain and puree.
Make your homemade puree a bit thicker by lining a fine mesh sieve with cheesecloth and placing over a bowl, dump some of your squash puree in and let drain a bit to rid it of excess water and get thicker.
The chocolate pumpkin bundt cake uses black cocoa powder for color and flavor. However, any cocoa powder you have in the pantry will work, just know the color won’t be as intense.
The glaze uses regular cocoa powder to be lighter for a nice color contrast in the final dessert, but again use black cocoa or any cocoa powder you have in the pantry.
Coffee or Not
The coffee flavor is light in the cake and the glaze but it is present. If coffee isn’t your thing feel free to skip it. Simply use milk in the glaze instead of coffee and omit the espresso powder from the cake batter.
Bulk up the cake by adding a cup of chocolate chips, if desired.
Substitute a plan, vanilla glaze for the chocolate glaze.
Skip the glaze all together and simply serve plain or dust with some powdered sugar.
Serve the glazed cake plain with coffee or tea for a simple but lovely dessert.
A scoop of ice cream or even a bit of whipped cream on a slice of cake would be beautiful and flavorful.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page. We always appreciate your feedback. You can also save the recipe for later by pinning it or clicking on the heart in the lower right hand corner.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
This easy and delicious chocolate pumpkin spice bundt cake is perfect for dessert at feasts and casual meals alike
Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter, softened
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Black Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 teaspoons Espresso Powder
Coffee Chocolate Glaze
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Coffee, room temperature
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter & flour a 10" bundt pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, black cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and espresso powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and pumpkin, beat until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Slowly stir in the whisked dry ingredients, until everything is completely mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes. An inserted toothpick will come out clean when done.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Turn out to a cake plate and let cool completely before applying glaze.
Make the Glaze
- Whisk together the cocoa powder and powdered sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coffee and mix completely. Add more coffee if necessary to make the glaze pourable.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and let harden before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
We try but cannot 100% guarantee the accuracy of this nutrition information.